UBC faculty of medicine community members are recipients of funding from UBC’s 2022 Partnership Recognition and Exploration fund.
The fund empowers community partners to build reciprocal relationships with UBC students, faculty, and staff. Since 2017, the fund has invested more than $450,000 in 289 community-university partnerships, with approximately 50 per cent of funding going to IBPOC-led community organizations.
Receiving up to $1,500 each, this year’s projects are exceptional examples of how communities and UBC are working together to advance equity, diversity, and inclusion; Indigenous engagement and reconciliation; health innovation and community wellbeing; sustainability and climate action; and teaching, learning, and research excellence.
Faculty of medicine recipients and projects:
Celebrating Sher Vancouver: A Community Recognition Event
- UBC Partner | Student: Simrat Mahil, School of Population and Public Health
- Community Partner: Karn Sahota, Sher Vancouver
Extending the Collaboration of Brain Injury Community Associations and Researchers
- UBC Partner | Faculty: Julia Schmidt, Department of Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy
- Community Partner: Kix Citton, Nanaimo Brain Injury Society
Harm Reduction Workers Guild: Community-led Support And Training For Harm Reduction Workers
- UBC Partner | Student: Jacob Stubbs, Experimental Medicine
- Community Partner: Ronnie Grigg, Zero Block Society
Minding the Gap: Co-creating a Province-wide Virtual Support Group for British Columbians Facing Hereditary Cancer Risk
- UBC Partner | Faculty: Rona Cheifetz, Department of Surgery
- Community Partner: Catriona Remocker, BRCAinBC Commitee, Congregation Beth Israel Synagogue
PROmoting Early Childhood Outside (PRO-ECO) Partner Collaboration