Faculty of medicine members are among the recipients of the 2021-22 Community-University Engagement Support Fund (CUES).
UBC is investing over $500,000 to support partnerships that will benefit communities and advance collaborative research, teaching, and learning across the province.
Paid directly to community partners, CUES funding reduces financial barriers and prioritizes reciprocal, inclusive engagement so all communities — especially those that have been and continue to be underserved, marginalized, or excluded — can benefit.
“Building strong relationships between UBC researchers and community partners is an important way to co-develop appropriate responses and approaches to identified needs across our province,” says Dr. Matthew Evenden, Associate Vice-President, Research and Innovation. “The partnerships supported by CUES are an important component of Strategy 9 (Knowledge Exchange) to support research excellence in UBC’s strategic plan, and can lead to effective new ways of tackling social, health and environmental challenges locally and beyond.”
Faculty of medicine-led projects:
The Explore Stream offers up to $13,000 per project to help get emerging partnerships and projects off the ground.
- Creating a unified community and research agenda to support people with brain injury
Community Partner: Geoff Sing, British Columbia Brain Injury Association
UBC Partner | Faculty: Dr. Julia Schmidt, Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy
- Culture and context in the delivery of equitable women’s cancer prevention: Team building and community outreach in the South Asian community
Community Partner: Arun Garg, Canada India Network Society
UBC Partner | Faculty: Dr. Lesa Dawson, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gynecologic Cancer Initiative
Sustain Stream Projects Stream
The Sustain Stream offers up to $25,000 per project to support established partnerships that have already been working collaboratively and want to do more.
- Multi-partner approach to place based rights literacy and action to address equity, diversity, and inclusion
Community Partner: Kate Hodgson, RayCam Cooperative Community Centre Society
UBC Partner | Faculty: Dr. Christine Loock, Department of Pediatrics
- EndoAct Canada: Activating partnership for patient-oriented, evidence-based endometriosis research and advocacy
Community Partner: Philippa Bridge-Cook, The Endometriosis Network Canada
UBC Partner: Kate Wahl, Graduate Student, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
The art of healthy aging: A community-collaborative knowledge translation initiative by, with, and for women living with HIV
Community Partner: Junko Milton, AIDS Vancouver
UBC Partner | MD/PhD candidate Shayda Swann
- Sustaining partnerships to advance community priorities in The IDEAs Cohort (SPARTA)
Community Partner: Janice Duddy, Pacific AIDS Network
UBC Partner | Faculty: Dr. Sofia Bartlett, School of Population and Public Health
- Implementing and evaluating an innovative inclusive aquatic program using results from participatory action research: A pilot project
Community Partner: Minnie Teng, Aquafit for All Association
UBC Partner | Faculty: Dr. Tal Jarus, Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy