Funding for FoM Summer Student Research Program projects is provided from a variety of sources managed by the Faculty of Medicine. Note that all projects will automatically be considered for General Medical Research funding.
- See below for a list of funding sources
- Click here for historical funding and application information (including funding success rates)
- SSRP projects funded in summer 2011
- SSRP projects funded in summer 2012
- SSRP projects funded in summer 2013
- SSRP projects funded in summer 2014
- SSRP projects funded in summer 2015
- SSRP projects funded in summer 2016
The FoM SSRP is only able to fund ~50% of the project applications we receive each year, consequently, we encourage you to apply to other student research programs in order to maximize your funding chances. However, please note that UBC policies do not allow students to hold award funding from multiple sources concurrently (if both awards are meant to support full time work); thus if the FoM SSRP application is successful, no other funds can be held for the duration of the 4 or 8 week FoM SSRP period.
- Yr 1 MD students: $3,200 for 8 weeks of full-time work.
- Yr 3 MD students: $1,600 for 4 weeks of full time work*
- Non-MD students: $2,800 for 8 weeks of full-time work.
*For summer 2017, Yr 3 MD students ONLY can apply for 4 weeks of funding. This is to accommodate the reduced summer break for this cohort.
The 8 (or 4 if applicable) weeks of funding must occur between June 1 and August 31st but the 8 weeks need not be consecutive.
Please note that the availability of specific funding sources may vary from year to year. This page will continue to be updated throughout the application period as funding sources for the current year are confirmed.
- Albert & Mary Steiner Summer Research Award: To support medical research projects conducted by undergraduate students enrolled in the Faculty of Medicine (e.g. MD students, Bachelor of Midwifery students and Bachelor of Laboratory Science students).
- BC Surgical Oncology Network - To support MD student projects in the field of surgical oncology. (1 award available) Support of $400/week will be provided for up to 10 weeks.
- Faculty of Medicine MD Undergraduate Program funding: To support MD student medical research projects.
- Florence E. Heighway Summer Research Award: To support MD student medical research projects.
- Mach-Gaensslen Foundation of Canada Award: To support MD student research projects in the areas of cardiology, oncology or psychiatry.
- Cecil D. & Clarabel C. Morris Research Fund in Medicine: To support research in neurology and research in pulmonary, cardiac and rheumatoid diseases.
- Elise May Hogg Fund: To support heart research.
- J.D. Jones Estate: To support research into cardiovascular diseases.
- Kinsley Brotherton McLeod Endowment: To support research into diabetes.
- Mary Hodson Estate for Medical Research: To support research in muscular dystrophy.
- Violet B. Arnott Memorial Fund: To support medical research in psychiatry and pharmacy.
- William & Ada Isabelle Steel Fund: To support research in areas where federal resources are not available, and in particular research into diseases of the kidney.
- Anne S. Campbell Estate - To support medical research.
- Carmen Crawford Browne Estate Fund for Medical Research: To support medical research.
- Douglas Hodge Gilmore Estate: To support medical research.
- Estate of Aileen Smith Medical Research Endowment Fund: To support medical research.
- Florence & George Heighway Endowment Fund: To support medical research.
- Thomas C. Bell Estate Medical Research Endowment Fund: To support medical research.
- Willard S. Kitchen Memorial Research Fund: To support medical research.
- Fraser Health Authority: To support projects conducted by clinicians affiliated with Fraser Health Authority.
- Interior Health Authority: to support projects affiliated with Interior Health Authority.
- Providence Health Care Research Institute: to support projects affiliated with the Providence Health Care Research Institute.
- Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute: to support projects affiliated with Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute.
- Island Health: to support projects affiliated with Vancouver Island Health Authority.
- Women's Health Research Institute: to support projects conducted by junior faculty affiliated with Women's Health Research Institute.
- Irene Money Studentship for Lung Cancer Research: to support lung cancer research.
- Sheila Innis Studentship for Medical Research: to support projects in the area of nutrition or metabolism being conducted at BC Children's Hospital Research Institute.
- Private donations: to support general medical research and/or projects in priority areas identified by the donor(s). Availability of funds varies from year to year.
The FoM Summer Student Research Program provides MD and non-MD undergraduate students with an opportunity to explore their interest in medical research by undertaking a project over the summer under the supervision of a principal investigator with an appointment in the Faculty of Medicine. The program is funded through the generous contributions of our donors and partners. If you are interested in making a gift to support student research, please contact Lisa Slater, Development Officer in the Faculty of Medicine, at 604-822-7087 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.